Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Usual Suspects - Review



The Usual Suspects (1995)
Directed by - Bryan Singer
Cinematography by - Newton Thomas Sigel

"Dave Kujan: Do you believe in him, Verbal?
Verbal: Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze."

This film is very good. I have seen it a few times and every time I watch, it gets better. The story by far is one of the strongest elements of this film and it won an Oscar for the writing. It starts out with a great scene which gives you some foreshadowing but is ambiguous enough that you want to continue to see whats coming.



They even kill off a main character in the first few minutes. However this creates a great deal of tension leaving the rest of the story in question. The story continually gets more and more intense leading up to the final scene. I'm sure there where gasps in the theater when this film was released. The five friends I watched with tonight had no idea what was coming at the end and after sat in silence until someone said "wow...that was a good film." It's so great to see a reaction like that. Everyone just staring at the credits in amazement at what just happened.

If you have not seen this film, go rent it.

No comments: