Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Advice from David Lynch


Inland Empire is David Lynch's newest film. A documentary was made while he was shooting this film. It's an interesting documentary following Lynch in an observational way rather than following the traditional expository sit in a chair and talk method. You see how a filmmaker who knows what he wants work. I learned a good deal from just being able to watch his interactions with crew members and how he gets in a mindset to shoot a film.

The biggest piece of advice I found is something that people often forget.

Lynch says that you will always want more. When making a film there is always that camera, that location, that actor, etc, which will make your film perfect. He says that you must take what you have right now and make the best of it. You will never make movies if you cant accept that you cant have everything. This is coming from the mouth of a perfectionist.

My advice is make your film no matter what. Money, location, actors, equiptment, crew, anything, should not be a hindrance. If you have a vision and you can imagine a way to make that vision transfer to the big screen then go out and make your film. Personally there are many times that I have a script which demands tons of money or shots that aren't possible for me however I make it work. I might not have every single thing I want for that shoot but I still go out and make the film. Currently I am working on 1-800-Suicide and I wanted to set it in the 60's. The issue is that will not be possible with the budget I have. However, I'm not going to stop production because I don't have the money. I'm going to make the film and if someday I do get the money to shoot a 60's film noir then maybe I will revisit this script. In reality I will end up taking what I learn from shooting this alteration of my script and probably work on something else, making that piece stronger.

Something to think about.

No comments: