Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Movie Reviews, "The Happening" "Calvaire" "Dont Look Now"

The week I have watched a few films, some good, some bad. Here is my review for these flicks.


The Happening (2008)- I am very disappointed in the films M.Night.Shymalan has been producing. At one point I read that he was going to be the next Speilberg however his films are becoming worse and worse. The best were 6th sense and Unbreakable. The Happening seems to be propaganda for environmentalists. The whole concept of plants killing off the human species is not a bad idea but there was no story in this film. There is a great setup, good cast, awesome idea, but no power in the writing. I was expecting so much more going into the film.





Calvarie "The Ordeal"(2004) - This first time director, Fabrice Du Welz, had a great idea for a horror film. He grew up watching all the old classics and wanted to create a film which was a homage to his favorites. The only flaw is that he attempted to use two characters to tell this story. The character of Marc Stephens is very strong. A singer who gets lost in the country must struggle to survive. You connect with him at the beginning and instantly fall into his world. Bartel on the other hand was a character meant to be seen in everyone but Marc. Good idea however it didn't work. When using one personality to create every character the writer looses that edge on the film. Characters morph together and become one. It would be more interesting to see a web of creepiness, having multiple personalities, rather than just one solid lump. Getting beyond the characters one will get wrapped up in the situation. The horror in the film is there. I was very creeped out from start to finish. There are some parts where my mouth dropped. Favorite scene in the film is towards the end when its christmas. This whole scene was shot so well and is very shocking.


Dont Look Now (1973) - I was watching an interview with Brad Anderson and he said that this film was one of the movies which inspired him to make "Session 9." Session 9 is such a good horror film that I had to see what Brad pulled from. Dont Look Now was a good 70's film. I still cant get over how creepy the lady is at the very end of the film. There is some good tension and some unbelievable scenes for the time. I enjoyed watching. Defiantly not in the horror style of today.







My Verdict

The Happening - Dont expect much if you choose to go see it. Ending was very disappointing. I miss the twist endings on his films.

The Ordeal - Worth watching if you like horror films. Just remember the story is not very good and the ending sucks however it is pretty creepy.

Dont Look Now - It is a little slow however I would recommend if you are going to sit down and allow yourself to get wrapped up in the film. Otherwise it wont be as shocking.

----

I am looking for some good horror films to watch. If you have a suggestion of a film let me know.

No comments: