Sunday, August 10, 2008

"Cell" & "The Dark Tower" 2 possible new films?

Stephen Kings popular books, Cell and The Dark Tower series have been optioned for films.


Cell

It looks like Eli Roth will be directing King's new book Cell in 2009. Here is some information regarding the film.

Plot:When a strange signal pulsates through all cell phone networks worldwide, it starts a murderous epidemic of epic proportions when users become bloodthirsty creatures, and a group of people in New England are among the survivors to deal with the ensuing chaos after.

Directed by
Eli Roth

Writers
Screenplay
Scott Alexander
Larry Karaszewski Screenplay
Stephen King Novel

Producers
Chris Briggs ... producer
Brendan Deneen ... senior co-producer
Mike Fleiss ... producer
Eli Roth ... producer

Personally I am very excited to see this book made into a film. I really enjoyed the book and when I finished it I immediately started over from the beginning and re-read the entire book. It's a cool story and I think Eli Roth will do justice to the film.

Dark Tower

This series is by far my favorite of Kings work. There is so much to these books. I was surprised when I saw that J.J. Abrams optioned the rights to shoot the movie. I recently read an article in which King states that he will never give the rights for these novels. He believes a film will ruin the power these books have. When you make a movie from a book your limiting the imagination. Instead of using your own minds eye to discover a different world your stuck with one persons vision. Then if you read the books after you see the film that vision sticks and your not as free to enjoy the limitless possibilities your mind can create.

I think J.J. Abrams would make a very cool film however I am not sure if I want to see these books turned into a film or not. I think its one of those things you have to sit down and read. If you don't like to read I would suggest you change that because there is a huge world your missing out on. Films are fun and I love making films however books are something entirely different.

My personal favorite from this series is the second book. The Drawing of the Three. Read the first two books and you will be hooked!



No comments: